Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What do I do? Part I

Dianne M. from Oklahoma asked me some questions in a comment and I thought I would just answer them here in case anybody else is curious about how I do things.  I really appreciate your comments, suggestions, honest opinions and support.

The first set of questions in regards to Color Fields #14:
"It's a pretty large piece. Is it a wall hanging? Do you ever make quilts that are actually quilts, like lap quilts or bed quilts? "

Yes, Color Fields #14 is a wall hanging, as are most all my artworks. There is a sleeve attached to the back that you can put a rod through to hang it on the wall.  

It is really tricky trying to explain to people about what I do because the word "quilt" comes up and brings up lots of different associations for people.  I am an artist that creates artworks that just happen to use quilting techniques in the process.

I have tried different media over the years and didn't come to fabric until my friend invited me to take a quilting class with her.  We made a traditional bed size quilt (although I picked some pretty untraditional colors and fabrics).  I took a couple of classes and made a couple of quilts.

Then, one day I discovered The Art Quilt book by Robert Shaw. 


I was amazed and a light bulb went off inside my head and I thought I could do my art this way.  That was in 2001. So I started creating original designs in fabric.  I also took a sewing class because my basic knowledge was from middle school home-economics class.  I still feel like I don't know that much about sewing in general.

Over the years, I've read books, taken a few workshops, read other art quilters blogs and other sites on the internet and tried to absorb information on different techniques.  I started dyeing my own fabrics and have also learned from practice.

In the beginning, I made a few baby quilts and bed quilts for family and friends.  They were regular patterns and it was years ago.  I have not made an original design bed quilt.  I now concentrate on making my own original wall art.

I will answer more of Dianne's questions in my next post: What do I do? Part II

No comments: