Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Tis the Season

Yes, tis the season to be generous and I have another fundraising event to announce.  This year I was asked to curate the artwork for the Trey McIntyre Project's fundraiser event.  I installed the artwork the same week as I did the Double Take show.

For those who don't know, the Trey McIntyre Project is a contemporary dance group based in Boise.  They perform all over the world.  In the past few years, they have held this fundraiser where they invite visual artists to come in and be inspired by the dancers and Trey and then to create artworks from that inspiration.  The artworks are sold with proceeds split between the artists and the company.

The exhibition is being held at the TMP offices downtown.  The dance studio has been transformed into a gallery.  There will also be a market area in the offices that will have more affordable items by artists.  You can go here to see a video about the event and some of the artwork.

Although I have been helping out with installations at the Boise Art Museum for over fifteen years and have co-curated the TVAA exhibitions, this is my first solo curating experience.  After about a 10 minute period of panic after seeing all the works in the space and asking myself, "What have I got myself into?" I set to work and didn't need to worry. And now that it is all up (almost - a couple of artworks did not get dropped off by the deadline), I am proud of how the shows looks.

And since TMP shows some of it on their video, I think it is o.k. for me to post a few photos, too.  The artworks have not been lit in these pictures and extra stuff was still around.  The labels have not been put up either.

Bradford Shaw artwork down the entry hall.


Prints by Amy Westover.


In this last one you can see a black pedestal.  I used some black fabric they had to cover it up, since it was not a pedestal at all.  The fabric is just pinned on (you can't see the pins).  I did two pedestals with black fabric.

The piece on top of this pedestal is by Christine Raymond.  It is a gorgeous piece made from a cast of one of the dancers' body.  There are little pieces that look like scales, each one is covered with 24 carat gold leaf.  She hand tied each one to the form.  It took her months and months of work.



I was so intrigued by the details, I forgot to take a good full picture of the front.  You will just have to go see it if you live in Boise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad said tell you the display looks great but he couldn't figure out how to comment.

I agree that it looks great. Too bad we can't see it in person. There are some very interesting pieces displayed. Take lots of photos to share with us.

Mom