Since I have other things going on, I thought maybe I wouldn't play along with this one because I had no ideas. I thought if I were to do something, there would have to be some small amounts of each color.
Last week as I knew their deadline was drawing closer and having finished a bigger piece (will get that posted soon), I thought I would just look and see if I had all those colors in my fabrics and maybe I could make something. Well, the green color (or close to it), a yellow and the red-orange color were sitting on my table left over from the Polka Dot Circus piece. I looked for some of the blue and had some scraps that were close to it. I added some fusible web to the back of the blue and began to see what I could do.
I started out with a twelve by twelve square to try to fit in the size requirement, but I didn't have quite enough of the fabrics scraps to cover it. It ended up roughly ten inches square instead. I fused everything to heavy interfacing, did a few quilt lines with the monofilament thread and satin-stitched around the edges. I had a perfect thread to stitch around the edges that had the red, yellow and blue colors. Unfortunately, it also had a lavender purple color, too. I decided to go ahead and use it anyway. After the stitching was completed, I took a blue Sharpie and carefully colored over the purple thread sections.
Here is the piece.
Three Square Circus
fused applique, machine quilted
© 2010 Lisa Flowers Ross
As you can see, it did not end up with just a little bit of each of the colors. The yellow is a little off, too. It should have been more gold, but this is what I already had. I think the primary, intense, bright colors make it seem child-like and definitely circus-like.
It sounds like some of the members of the twelve by twelve group also struggled with the color scheme, but I am amazed at how they solved the challenge of it. They are all very different and have different sensibilities. Click on the Twelve by Twelve link above (or on the side bar) to enjoy their solutions.