Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Plum Crazy

Do you remember me talking about our overloaded plum tree?  I had made plum crisp and was planning on making some jam.  I have since made two batches of Plum Vanilla jam. 
It is very good, but it looks like nothing has been picked off the tree.  There are still a million more.  I could have a whole pantry (if I had a pantry) of plum jam.  I tried a pork recipe with the plums.  The flavor was good but it was a "high maintenance" recipe.  I'm not into "high maintenance" cooking.

Next, I'm going to try to make plum chutney.  But I will never get around to using all the plums off the tree.  If you are a local and would like some, let me know.  They aren't very good for just eating plain (unless you like sour things), but are good for cooking.

And speaking of recipes, I made a very good dip for the artist reception.  It is from an old Cooking Light magazine.  Here it is:

Roasted Red Pepper and Cannellini Bean Dip
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 (16 oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (7 oz.) bottle roasted red bell peppers, rinsed and drained
1 large garlic clove
2 Tbsp. extravirgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Place first 5 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.  With processor on, slowly add oil through food chute.  Stir in salt and pepper.  Yield: 8 servings (1/4 cup each)

I used more red peppers because my jar was bigger and used the fresh basil from my yard.  It's suggested to serve with pita wedges, but we served it with crackers.

No comments: