Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Environmental Blog Advent Calendar Day 1

Today is the first day of December and time to start my environmentally friendly blog advent calendar here on the blog. I will add my disclaimer that I am not an environmental expert and any ideas or suggestions I put here are just my thoughts or opinions. I may or may not follow all these suggestions. I try to live my life with the environment in mind, but I am sure there are many things I could do better. That said, let's move on.

The idea of Christmas giving is a tradition. I enjoy giving gifts, especially ones that I make, or ones that I find that I think is just perfect for someone. In other words, I like giving thoughtful gifts. I don't really like giving gifts just because I'm suppose to or am under a deadline (yes, I realize this is life and it happens). I think this really won't mean much to the recipient. I don't like receiving those kinds of gifts either. To me, this is where the marketing of Christmas has become too much.

I am very fortunate that I don't really need anything. My wants aren't too much as I'm not really into clothes, or jewelry or the latest electronics (that's Frank and Anna's area). Therefore when someone asks me what I want, I often times don't know what to say because I think about it and realize I don't need anything. Also, for those not as fortunate as me, I would rather they save their money because they do need it.

One year I asked my family to donate to a list of organizations that I cared about instead of giving me something for Christmas. I still received gifts I didn't really need and I don't think anybody made a donation. That's fine, it is their decision. But if you don't know what to get someone, ask if you can donate to one of their favorite organizations.

O.k. I'm going on and on and here is my environmentally friendly suggestion for today. If you are giving gifts, why not give something you made yourself (it might be too late this year, I know. But maybe not.). Even better, make something with recycled materials. Here are some sites with ideas:

For a tote made from recycled sweaters, check out Canadian Living
Sew, Mama, Sew has directions for a rice heat therapy bag
Betz White shows how to make a wreath from old sweaters
Or you could always make a quilt using up old fabrics or recycled clothes.

These are just a few ideas. You can search the internet for more or also check out the Craftzine blog. They put links up everyday.

No comments: