Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Forest for the Trees

I finally got around to making some of these trees which I saw here. Of course, I can't make things easy on myself. I had to make some modifications. While zigzaging the edges, I used my couching foot on my machine and added the funky yarns around the edge. I didn't do the zigzag stitch on the straight edge. I used fray check instead.


Then, instead of gluing the cones together, I used a pipe cleaner. I put a loop at one end of the pipe cleaner. Threaded that through the bottom cone. Then since I wanted more space between the sections, I wrapped the pipe cleaner around a pencil to give it a spiral shape. Next, I put on the second section and continued in the same manner until I reached the top. I had some star paper clips. So I folded the remaining pipe cleaner around the star to keep it on top. They look a bit Suessian and they kind of boing around when you move them. Now I just have to make the placemats to go with them and then I can line them up down the middle of my dining room table. I love this fabric. It is by Moda and the green is more like chartreuse.


Here I had to include another picture of Anna. Since she was requested to open some presents earlier (by someone who shall remain nameless), I wanted you to see the result. One of the presents was a gift card to Build-a-Bear Workshop. Of course there was no waiting until after Christmas to use it! So we went one day after school. She purchased the polar bear and pink leopard and the Santa dress.

Advent calendar tip: Use a timer for your outside lights so they aren't lit all night and you can save energy and money.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see Anna enjoying her gift card at Build-A-Bear BEFORE the avalanche of other gifts hits her and it got lost in the heap!
Nameless

Terry Grant said...

I like your trees much better than the originals!