Pages

Monday, December 3, 2007

Environmental Blog Advent Calendar Day 3

Some more thoughts on Christmas gifts. Instead of buying something new, maybe you could have a "white elephant" gift exchange with family or friends. Wikipedia calls this a party game. It is fun.

Last year at the Boise Art Museum, someone planned to do this at the Christmas luncheon. Somehow I missed the memo and didn't know about it. But they let me play anyway. Everyone brought something they already had or didn't want from home (except for me who didn't know). I had one of the last numbers. One of the women before me had picked out a wind chime?, tacky type thing made with shells. Everyone could tell she would never use it for anything. So, when my number came up, I decided to relieve her of the burden instead of picking a wrapped present. She seemed really relieved and ended up with something else that she could use.

I took the "chime" home and took it all apart and saved all the shells. Now I have them to use for art lessons. Recycled gifts can be useful.

No comments: