I rolled the table out and set up our printing area in the garage. This time we were using thickened dyes instead of paint or ink.
|Here's Mary getting her screen ready.|
I have the Screen Printing: Layering Textiles with Color Texture & Imagery book by Claire Benn & Leslie Morgan marked with lots of sticky notes. And I have done some screen printing on fabric at Linda McLaughlin's studio. But this was the first time I did it "on my own", so to speak, with a frame screen. (But I wasn't on my own since Mary was there.) And I admit, I have no idea what I am doing!
We tried different temporary methods of making prints with the screen. I wouldn't say we were very successful, but we did learn some things. For example, I don't think I made the dye thick enough. I used sodium alginate as a thickener.
The first time I tried to use the sodium alginate some years ago it turned into a big blob. There are no instructions on my package on the amounts to mix. This time I mixed it according to the instructions I saw on a package in the art store. It was a little too runny, a syrup-like consistency. So next time I make it, it should be just perfect.
We carried on and tried some different things. Then, I ended up going back to using my thermofax screen because I was able to get better results with it. It is also smaller and easier to work with. Here are a few of the fabrics I printed. I am exploring lines. I think I will experiment with some mono-printing today since I still have some of the dye leftover.