Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Earth Day

Happy Earth Day!  We worked on our earth day projects yesterday.  I transferred some compost to one of our garden boxes.  We built a new garden box (still have three more to build to replace old ones) and got some flowers in the front planter.  And look at these fun flowers we found.


In honor of earth day, I thought we could look at some artists that work with nature.   One is Patrick Dougherty.  I did a short review of his book, Stickwork, in one of my newsletters (If you would like to receive my newsletters, you can sign up using the link in the side bar). So, I was very excited to see one of his sculptures when we visited the Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center in Maui.

On the Wild Side by Patrick Dougherty 



My friend sent me a postcard with an announcement for the exhibition Vernal Equinox at The Grand Hand Gallery in California.  Sandra Juniper Booth and Kim Frances, the two artists exhibiting, were new to me.  I looked them both up on line and was very interested in Kim Frances' artwork in which earth is actually listed as one of the mediums used in the pieces.  Here is an example:

Game of Squares by Kim Frances
Earth, sand, ash pigment and varnish on canvas

I really like this piece with the lines and squares.

Then, the quintessential artist working with nature is Andy Goldsworthy.  Here is a link to a YouTube video about him.  He is amazing.

These are just a few artists that work with nature as a material.

No comments: