Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Reduction Linocut - Part II

The butterfly reduction linocut I did in the workshop was only three colors.  But my friend, Mary, did a four color print that turned out lovely.  Here is the progression.

1st color.

2nd color.  This was on a different paper.

3rd color.

4th color.  Isn't it great?


























Reduction Linocut by Mary Donato


Since I only did three colors on my butterfly, I had some extra time on the second day.  I had also
discovered I had some small pieces of linoleum at home.  So when I was finished with the first print, I carved a small design on another linoleum block and printed on my the paper I had leftover from cutting the first pieces down to size.  I did a quick two color print and varied some of the colors as I went along.



I like how these little flowers turned out.  They were quick and fun.  What I realize with the reduction method, though, is that if I want to make more of these flowers, I have to carve another block for the first color.  Or start a new one because I only have the second color design left.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

This is such a different way of thinking about color and design. It will be interesting to see how it affects your art.

The flowers are fun!