Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hot Spot

The Treasure Valley Artists' Alliance will be putting up a new show in November called Inside View. The artists reception will be November 16 from 5-8 p.m. at the Boise State Public Radio Offices on Park Center Blvd.


I decided to submit some artwork for this show.  When I first saw the theme, I had an idea to create an artwork with an abstracted view of the interior of a church we visited in Scotland.  Well, I never got around to doing that.  I had some other things to take care of, like breast cancer.

That leads me to the piece that will be in the show.  I got the bad news about a week before we were to leave on our trip to Scotland.  While on vacation, I tried not to think about the surgery and radiation I would have to deal with when we returned.  But being human, it did cross my mind a few times.

I carried a little sketchbook with me and while we were on a train or bus or something,  I did a little sketch of an image that had popped into my head related to the breast cancer.  Anna did not know what I was thinking about, but saw the sketch and thought it was cool.  She asked me if I was going to make that into an artwork and I said I probably would.  She had a completely different impression of the sketch.

I made the piece and was planning to enter it in an exhibition about cancer, which I thought I could do online.  I could enter the information online but the images needed to be sent on a CD. Since I found that out the day before the deadline, I decided not to spend the money to overnight a CD and did not enter.

Now, it will be in the Inside View Exhibition.

Hot Spot
hand dyed fabric, painted and stamped
fused appliqué, free motion machine stitching
39 x 34"
©2012 Lisa Flowers Ross
NFS

Well, I think it is a bit obvious and a little different interpretation of an inside view.  

The sketch is a bit more abstract and, I think, more impromptu. Also, it is much easier to freely draw those circular shapes on a three inch paper with pencil, than to translate it onto a large fabric piece. So, I think I like the sketch a little better.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Will the Inside View show remain up until the end of November?

flowersgal