Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

New Kitchen

 The painting of the kitchen is complete.  I think I was unclear in my first post about the kitchen and wallpaper removal.   I did not do any of the work myself.  I did not want to tackle that wallpaper on the ceiling.

I did ask the painters to leave all the plastic up and cabinets covered when they were done so I could sand the butcher block counter (you see under the large window) without dust getting into everything.  That meant that I did have to remove all the tape and plastic from everything, and touch up the edges.

I have done the touch-up, cleaned all the cabinets and counters and mopped the floor.  The kitchen has not been this clean since we moved in (and probably wasn't this clean when we moved in.  The previous owners weren't considerate in leaving a clean house behind.)  Frank will be replacing all the outlets (which we have been meaning to do for several years), which is why none of them have covers on them.

We are planning to get new shades for the windows and glass door.  We also have some glass in the cabinet doors shown below that needs to be replaced with something more modern and less country.
I'd also like to get a new sink and faucet (not this little bar sink in the picture below).

I'm not sure how well the color actually translates in these pictures.  We did one wall with the lighter color as an accent wall and also because I didn't want the area under that cabinet to be too dark. I wanted a mocha-like color for the main walls, but the color we picked has a lot of orange in it.  I like it very much and it goes with the rest of the house much better now.

For a while now, I have been looking for two comfy, smallish arm chairs to put in the kitchen.  I haven't found any yet within my price range and/or that are easily available.  For now, I just took two chairs from our deck and brought them inside (since they would be put away for the winter anyway).


We used to have a wicker settee with a coffee table in this location for a long time, even though the area is meant for a small eating table.  I noticed when people were visiting our house, everybody ended up in the kitchen and I wanted them to have a place to sit.  Besides, we eat at the counter or in the dining room.

The settee was nice for two people to sit on, or Anna could lay down on it when she was little.  It was white and not really our style, but it was what we could find at the time.  Eventually, I removed the coffee table and then decided the settee had to go to.  That's when I started looking for chairs, occasionally.  In the mean time, I just put one chair similar to these in that spot, along with the little table.  It's a nice place to sit.

Now, I guess I need to step up the search for some armchairs.  Although Anna thought these were just fine.  I'm also trying to decide what artwork(s) I want to put on the wall.

I'm glad we are back to a fully functional kitchen now.

1 comment:

kathleen probst said...

Your kitchen looks great! The color really warms it up.

I'm sure it was quite challenging to be without a working kitchen. Glad you are back to business.

PS. Your stitches are gorgeous.