Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sheer Dyeing

Probably about a year ago I purchased some silk organza to try some of the methods Melanie Testa has in her book Inspired to Quilt.  I did not get around to doing anything with that organza, until now.  A while ago I had an idea for an installation artwork using the silk organza.  I thought that shibori dyeing would achieve what I had in mind for my idea.

I have not worked with dyeing silk or any kind of sheer fabric.  I have also not done any shibori techniques, but have read about it.  So I found a PVC pipe we had, cut a piece of the organza, wrapped it around the pole, squished the fabric to one end, secured with rubber bands and stuck it in a bucket of dye.

It was a bit hard to get the fabric to slide down the pole (I didn't put the rubber bands on until after I had squished a little section of the fabric down the pole, then squished some more and put another rubber band, etc.). It was thin and just didn't want to slide easily.  The dye I had in the bucket looked brown, but when I put the fabric in, it looked more red, like burgundy.  Silk takes dyes differently than cotton.  However, when it was rinsed and dried, it looks like black.



It is an interesting pattern.  Not the color I had envisioned, but I have learned something.  I'm sure I will eventually be able to use it for something.  As far as my installation idea, it's not quite the look I was going for.  I think I will try some paint on the organza or try drawing with thickened dye.  Don't know when I will get to that.

I still don't have all my fabrics ironed but a couple of them were piled together and I thought the color combination was interesting.  Quite different from the black sheer above.


No comments: