Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Guardian

This past weekend was Art in the Park, the Boise Art Museum's big fundraising event. I was working last week to help get it set up.

Since my parents were coming into town on Saturday, we waited to go to the event until Sunday, so they could attend, too. I forgot to bring my camera. My mom took some pictures, but they left for Yellowstone today. So the only picture I have is of my newly acquired artwork.

This is a picture of my Guardian of Flights of Fancy by Mary Ennes Davis. This was her third year at the show. The first year I saw her pieces, I really loved them, but didn't feel like I could spend the money to get one (I think I posted a picture of one on my blog). The next year, I thought, "I should really get one." But once again the price scared me away (most likely because I was probably thinking I could make myself one. That's not always the best way of thinking).

This year my mom fell in love with them as well. I had already purchased her Christmas present earlier at another artist booth, and she offered to buy me a Guardian for my Christmas present. Oh yea! It took me a while to decide on which one to get, because I liked several (so did my mom). The writing that goes with this one is "This spirit is filled with ideas and imagination." Perfect. (Maybe next year I can get one that gives energy to work on all those ideas.)

So, my Guardian came to me on 9/11 and the artist started creating these guardians after 9/11 for family and friends as a way to protect and honor loved ones. She made them to fit into stockings, which is why they are long and skinny (my guardian has long chopstick legs even though I cut them off in the picture). You can read the full story on her website and see more guardians (although she said those were all sold. But if you are interested in one, just email her and she will send you pictures of what's available).

Now, she makes all different sizes, instead of just those that fit in stockings.

No comments: