Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

End of Summer

Yesterday, Boise had a record high of 101 degrees.  I guess summer wasn't going down without a fight. I knew it was going to be hot near the end of the week (didn't know it was going to be that hot!) and decided to dye my last roll of PFD fabric.

I wanted to try the flat dyeing method I had read about on Simply Robin's blog.  So I purchased some plastic and clamps at Home Depot.  After a few layers, I realized this wasn't working so well for me.  Even though I had bought a somewhat heavy plastic, there were still folds and crease marks from being rolled up that would leave lines on the fabric no matter how many times I rolled over it with a roller.

The last layer I did, I tried the two color method ala Melody Johnson (scroll to bottom for flat dyeing).  The rest I did my usual way in containers.  I don't have them all washed out and ironed yet, but the container ones ended up more solid than my flat dyeing ones.  There must be a trick I don't know.  Or it could be that I did not fold my fabrics in half as Robin does.  I used my cutting table and cut the fabrics slightly smaller than a yard to fit.


What I learned:  I thought maybe the flat method would be faster and easier.  Maybe it would be if you were well practiced at it.  But it wasn't for me.  I also didn't like the dripping off the edges, but couldn't adjust the dye well enough to cover the fabric but not drip off (my driveway also slants some and that probably did not help).

I don't need a completely solid color.  I like some variations in the fabric, just not major obvious marks.  I can get a solid color good enough for me in the container method.  I might try the flat dyeing again with the fabric folded, but we'll see.

As I get the rest of the fabric ironed and folded, I will share it here with you.  I have also been getting the other Color Fields pieces quilted and will get those posted as well.  With the patio construction, end of summer dyeing and usual life happenings, I feel like my blog has been slightly ignored.

No comments: