Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

New Work

Because I create my art with fabric and a sewing machine, it is hard for me to work on art while on vacation. I always try to have some small handwork ready that I can bring with me to work on. Of course I always bring my sketchbook and do sketches if I want. I've also brought a small sketchbook and a travel size watercolor kit. But watercolor is not really my thing. Therefore, I don't do a lot of creating when I travel.

It was the same for this past trip to Long Island, but I was able to finish the bindings on three little plant-a-day pieces, finish the hand stitching on the piece below and start another small work that will only be hand stitching (although who knows when it might get completed now that I have access to the sewing machine again).

Spring Forest
hand dyed fabrics,
machine pieced, hand stitching
8-1/4" x 8-1/8"
© 2011 Lisa Flowers Ross

It was with great contentment that I was able to get back to work in my own studio this past week. It felt so comfortable and right where I belong. Before we left, I thought I had completed the Color Fields series, at least for a while. But my mind had other ideas and I have pieced two new Color Fields works, and another in progress, this past week. I'm still trying to decide how to do the quilting on the first two while I'm designing the third.

1 comment:

kathleen probst said...

You are one busy bee. I'm excited to see your next color field pieces.