Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July!

I hope everyone is enjoying their day.  We have had a very nice day so far.  This morning Anna and I did a little art - sidewalk art, that is.  The Idaho Statesman is sponsoring a new event this year which is a Chalk Art event in Ann Morrison park.  Anyone could have signed up to create an artwork.  There was a $10 fee to raise money for the kids' programs at the museum, but they also provided some artist pastels and regular sidewalk chalk.  I thought it would just be something fun to do and I would also get to see what other people were doing.  I asked Anna if she wanted to do it as well.  I signed both of us up online.

When I arrived at the park this morning, they had sections marked off and each spot had the name of the person and a bucket with the chalk and pastels.  The bucket was also there to collect tickets for people's choice awards.  I wasn't really concerned about the "contest" part.  I arrived a little after 8 a.m.  (Anna was coming later as she was sleeping over at a friend's house last night).  We had from 8 a.m. till 4 p.m. to work.

When signing up online, they asked what theme you were going to do.  I didn't really know yet, but had an idea of looking down on a river.  I used a similar idea of looking down from above on some previous artworks and am currently working on some small pieces with the same idea (will show you sometime on the blog when they are finished).  I was pretty much going to make it up as I went along.  I did one small sketch when I got there and then just went at it.

It took me about four hours to complete.  I spent a lot of time blending chalk with my fingers and had it not only on the sidewalk but also on various parts of myself.  Anna came later and it did not take quite as long for her to finish hers.  They had several guest artists that were invited to make big works and they were roped off in a different section.  It was fun to do.

materials and brief sketch I made

Anna and I working, along with others

Very messy hands!

A group of people were working on this one.

Another group effort.  Can you see the face?

This guy was just getting started after we had finished, so we didn't get to see the finished piece.

Anna working while a local news person is filming her.  We hope to see if she makes the final cut tonight.

Anna's finished piece.

 My finished piece.  The fishes look like they are on top of the water but I was afraid to go over them with some blue in fear that I might ruin it.


Invited guest artist, Rick Thomson

Work by invited guest artist, Ward Hooper (we have some of his prints in our basement).


No comments: