Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Artistic Interlude

I thought I would give you a break from Irish pictures today because the Twelve by Twelve group has revealed the latest color challenge artworks with purple and yellow.  I thought I would not be able to do a play-along piece this time because our trip consumed much of my time and thoughts in planning, preparing, packing and actually going. 

But since we have been away for a couple of weeks, I've had withdrawal symptoms for making art.  The day before yesterday I decided to see what I could do quickly with the theme.  I wanted to use scraps of fabrics and started pulling them out.  I had lots of yellow, but not much purple (not surprising).  I also noticed that most of the commercial prints I have tend to be with small scale motifs.  I don't get many fabrics with large prints.  Anyway, this piece is not twelve by twelve inches.  I seem to have trouble with that. But it does have yellow and purple.  I still need to finish the edges.  And that dark strip is a deep purple.


Golden Days
hand dyed and commercial fabrics,
machine pieced and quilted
19"h x 11-1/4"w
©2010 Lisa Flowers Ross

The back of the piece showing the quilting.

Be sure to check out the group's pieces by clicking on the Twelve by Twelve link above.

2 comments:

Diane Perin said...

Wow! This is wonderful -- I love the abstract simplicity of it, the boldness of color and your use of the printed fabrics -- a wonderful abstract landscape. Thanks for playing along with us!

Karen said...

Lisa, I think the back is as nice as the front. Beautiful quilt.