Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Dyeing Done

This past week I dyed about thirty more yards of fabric.  Even though I like doing it, it is tiring work because I am often up and down.  I have a card table set up outside which I keep the dyes on to mix the color I want.  Then I put the fabric in the container and pour the dye on.  As I smoosh the fabric around, I don't want any drops to splash out and contaminate something else.  Hence, I sit down on the ground to massage the dye into the fabric.  The little drips and splashes end up on the driveway or my legs.  I'm often multicolored after the process. 


This time I thought about hanging the fabrics on the fence to dry since I didn't want to have to iron them all and was ready for the process to go a little quicker (after having already done one round of dyeing the previous week).  When the temperature is in the 90's, the sun is out and there is barely any humidity, I think it only took about 10-15 minutes for the fabrics to dry!  Much quicker than an iron or a dryer. 

When I took the above picture, I noticed the fabric colors just happened to be some of the same colors that were in the plants in front.  I think I need to study those plants closer and use the fabrics in a future artwork.

Now that the dyeing is done and I have re-organized my fabric shelves.  I'm ready to get back to the actual process of creating art.  I have a few small things I need to finish up.

No comments: