Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dyeing


Last week I was finally able to get around to dyeing some fabric.  This time I threw in some embroidery thread as well.

I have been dyeing my own fabric for some years now (sorry I don't really know how many).  When I first did it, I remember it taking me a long time to do about 20 yards of fabric.  I thought that was a lot.  This time I dyed about 50 yards in a couple of days.  This seemed like hardly any colors to me.  Just like paint, there is an infinite number of ways to mix the dye colors.  These fabrics are my palette that has to last through the winter.  (Since I do my dyeing outside and it's best when the temperature is above 70 degrees, I do all my dyeing in the summer). 

So I went out and bought some more fabric so that I can do another round this week.  The above photo is only some of the fabric I dyed.  I don't follow any set measurements for getting some specific repeatable color.  Part of the fun for me is just mixing things up and seeing what comes out.  The more I dye the more I know what colors to mix to get the type of colors I want. 

No comments: