Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spring Bird


 Spring Bird
hand printed linocut
image size: 3"x 2"
@2010 Lisa Flowers Ross

I have been noticing more singing of the birds lately when I have been outside.  I think spring is in the air.  If not in the air, then, at least on my mind.  This little birdie above is from my mind.  I created this print for a print exchange that was initiated locally called Leftovers.  The idea was to use up the leftover scraps of paper that people had leftover from other prints they had made.  And the paper size couldn't be any larger than 5"x7".

You might have noticed that I'm not usually a print maker.  But I did have a class in college and have done some local workshops.  So my few pieces of leftover paper came from the workshops.  But I didn't have enough scraps to make the baker's dozen that was needed so I had to go buy some paper.  Since I don't have a printing press, these prints were printed by hand using rice paper, or Japanese paper.  I also did some on white paper.  I'm planning on putting some of the "leftovers" in my Etsy shop, soon.
Which color do you like better?  I am kind of leaning toward the tan paper as my favorite.  On one of my extra proofs I tried coloring the bird in with colored pencil.  I used yellow and a bit of orange.  I liked it on the tan but not so much on the white.  So, I did not do any hand coloring on the prints. 

I'm very excited to see what prints I get in exchange as well as see the entire 77 pieces.  Yes, there are 77 participants!  And there will be an exhibition of all the prints in April 2010 at Saltgrass Printmakers Gallery in Salt Lake City and August 2010 at Woodriver Cellars Gallery in Eagle, Idaho.  Oh, I hope I don't have to wait until August to see them all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it much better with tan background. Any chance the exhibits might be on-line so those of us who can't get to SLC in April or Eagle in August could see the whole 77?

Mom