Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Random Passion



Once again, it's time for the 12 x 12 reveal of another theme: passion. Above is my play-along piece. I started it last night, worked on it for a couple hours. Got up this morning and worked a couple of more hours to finish it. The edges aren't done yet, though. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!

I have had this idea kicking around in my head for awhile. It didn't turn out exactly like what I was thinking. In my head, there was also hand stitching. I call this Random Passion because the piecing is all random. I just randomly cut shapes and sewed them together. I've only done this type of piecing a few times. I don't like this technique much because it wastes more fabric and I don't always know how to sew the seams together. Also, the seams can get bulky in places.

I used warm, bright colors in the middle because when I think of passion, I think of burning passion and warm colors. I did the random piecing as I also think that burning passion can be a bit out of control or churning inside. Then I thought that passion seems so intense when it is juxtaposed with something more mundane. I used the neutral colored border to create this contrast. However, I put a little bit of the warm color at places along the border to show the passion "leaking out" and maybe having a some affect on the "mundane".

The quilting in the middle section was done with two different warm color threads in free motion stitching. The motifs are chaotic and organic; what I image passionate feelings to be. The quilting on the outside is the calm straight lines which were also free motion stitched (so they really aren't straight).

I like how this piece turned out. Since I didn't use a ruler and did free motion stitching, I think it has a bit of an organic feel even though the pieces are geometric. It was also nice to get back to working on my art and complete a piece so quickly (that's unusual for me).

4 comments:

Brenda said...

AND it looks like there are some passionfruit flower shapes quilted in there too! Thanks for playing along.

Terry Grant said...

This is wonderful! The colors are very passionate.

Françoise said...

Very nice quilt Lisa. I love it.

carin said...

Gorgeous colours!
I'd recognise your free motion stitching anywhere!