Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Beach Blue Revisited

As some of you have previously read, I was having trouble with this piece below, which I call Beach Blue #1. It needed something. Thanks to all who left comments. I have reworked it and it now looks like . . . .
(before)


(after)
. . . this!

Since I had already finished the edges and put the backing on, I needed to do something on the front surface. I decided to add some layers of tulle and a layer of a transparent fabric I had that had gold bumps on the surface.

I laid the transparent layers right over top of the hand stitching and machine stitched them down. I cut away layers to create different "stripes" in places. I also stitched around the circle and cut the layers away from that. I also added some more machine quilted lines in the blue area to tie it together.



If you look close you can see the hand stitching underneath. The piece is much better compared to before. It has more movement and a focal point. It lost a little bit of the calmness I was going for because of the extra "bling". But I am much happier with it now.

5 comments:

Beverly said...

I agree, much more interesting! I love the addition of both the color and the machine stitching.

Suzanne Sanger said...

I thought I liked it before, but you were right. This is IT! What a great lesson in following your instincts.

Unknown said...

Wow that's fabulous! Adding the bit o' color at the top and the bling really took it to another (better) level. I like the first one, but this one shines! Well done!

Unknown said...

Much better! Very nicely done!
Lisa

Norma Schlager said...

Oh, yes. I like this much better. That bit of blue and the machine quilting do a lot to enhance the piece. And I love that fabric with the gold bumps. I thought you had beaded it, until I read what you did. Nice work!