Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Great art ...

... picks up where nature ends." A quote by Marc Chagall. This was the artist we studied for the last art lesson for Anna's class. We looked at his work and talked about the colors and surrealism in the works.

I had found a great lesson on the internet. I gave them directions one at a time. First, they had to write the quote around the edge of their paper. Then, they had to turn the paper and draw a house. Then, they had to turn the paper again and draw themselves holding something they liked. Next, turn the paper again and they had to draw a tree(s) or flower(s). Then, turn the paper again and draw a sun or moon with a face (or both or half and half). Color in with oil pastels. Here are a few of the kids' works. I think they are great.


The top one in the picture below is the one Anna's teacher did.






I didn't want to show the kids an example because sometimes they just copy what you do. The instructions were so specific anyway, they didn't really need one. During class I help the kids and answer their questions and give suggestions. I don't get to work on anything.

This one looked so fun, though, that I did it at home in my sketch book. I used color pencils instead of pastels. Here is mine below. (Ooo, I just noticed I did the quote wrong! Oh well, maybe I was thinking of leaves and nature.)

No comments: