Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Finished Experiment Plus One

I recently purchased this book by Linda and Laura Kemshall. I need more time to study and read it but it has a lot of great ideas. One of them is the technique they use of painting a quilt after it is already quilted. I wanted to try it.


As I was working on other stuff and thinking about this technique, an idea popped into my head. I thought I would just try it and not worry about the outcome. Below is the quilt I call "Black and White and Red All Over." The stitched words are the quilting and after I was done, I rolled red paint over it with a brayer. It left an area around the quilted words. The words are a list of all the things we read. There were many more words that didn't fit on the quilt. The words on the white part are "poetry, fine-print, notes (just the end of it because I wanted to run some words off the edges), hieroglyphics, blogs, postcards.


The black words are a little hard to see in the above picture, so I took a picture from an angle. The words in black are "instructions (partial), maps, email, newspapers, zines, magazines, textbooks, pamphlets, flyers, posters, letters (partial), tombstones. I'm excited with the possibilities of this technique. I also realized when making this how different the world is for someone who does not know how to read.


Plus here is one more piece I have finished. This one used the monoprinted fabrics again. Originally the three pieced sections in the middle started out together with another pieced section and no mustard color in a completely different configuration. It was all sewn together and sat around for about a week before I decided it wasn't working for me and I un-sewed some sections and decided it needed solid fabric in between to give the eye some rest from the business (busy-ness) of the pieces. Here it is now and I like it much better.

No comments: