Pages

Friday, May 25, 2007

Abstract Chair Study

I should probably not even be showing this as it is not great, but I do have questions and could use opinions. This is a study I did. I didn't use a pattern but just cut pieces freely by hand and fused them to batting. I then did free motion stitching around the chair. I wanted these to look like drawn lines so I did not worry about being exact or perfect. Here is the front and the back:





I did the background quilting with a blue variegated thread (the chair with black thread). I just left the sides wonky when I put on the backing.



Here are my thoughts and questions: Should I have done the background quilting in the invisible thread (like I had done in my Color Block series )? Should I have done different quilting? Would curves had made a nice juxtaposition or maybe I should have made the straight stitched lines more "wonky" to go with the lines around the chair? I like how the lines around the chair look like a drawing. I think I would like those lines to be a thicker thread, so I have bought a couple different sizes to try. Any recommendations? Would it be better if the chair wasn't centered and was more asymmetrical? I want to try this again and do a few different ones, maybe even larger.

I used warm and natural batting as that is what I already have. However, I did not like it with this piece. I really like the peltex for the stiffness but can't go too large with that as I do not want to bend it under the sewing machine arm. I might try a piece of felt for the next one or something else.

7 comments:

Juanita Yeager said...

You can bend peltex and it will spring back into shape especially after you have blocked the finished piece without any measurable amount of stiffness.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Looks like an interesting study that has a lot of learning possibilities. A couple of the things I would recommend are to not have the background fabric line up exactly with the chair back and seat. Definitely putting the chair off center, and not viewed directly head on would add more interest. I don't think the quilting does a lot to support the image. You could try echo quilting, or ghost quilting, where you quilt the shapes of what is behind the chair. Straight up and down lines behind the chair, looking like a wall might also work. I'm not sure that the color of thread used in this study made or broke the quilting. Good luck, and let us know if you continue the study.
Carolyn

Tina Marie Rey said...

You can try a lot of variations on a piece like this! I would say to think of the following - curved quilting lines look great with straight and square piecing. Also, the dark blue that goes from corner to corner feels too planned and lined up for a piece that has a random yet structured feel to it - maybe doing the background in smaller pieces, so that the chair doesn't look to fixed in the center... it is a great piece though and you can have a lot of fun with a whole series on it! Color of thread looks good - i like the dark thread, helps pull your eyes around the rest of the piece.
Good luck with it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,
I really like your abstract chair study. You know the design you put around your chair can be a symbol??

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see less symmetry, more contrast in colors. I think offsetting the chair and angling it would provide more interest. I admire you for asking for these opinions!

Terry Grant said...

Hi Lisa,
I'm sure you know that when you ask for comments you will get them! And they will be all over the map.

My observations:

I really love the chair. For me the choice of colors, the composition, the near symmetry of the design are all positives. They look like choices intended to give the piece a sense of quiet, simplicity and stability. Off-setting the chair, increasing the contrast, etc. would change the mood that I feel the piece has right now.

The quilting doesn't work for me. It is a disruption in a peaceful flow. It has a structure that works against the very natural feel of the way the design fits together. My inclination would have been to quilt the "background" as one piece behind the chair, with the quilting design crossing over the seams to unify all those pieces. It could be very minimal quilting, or heavy quilting that simply provides a texture, rather than a contrast.

Sara lechner said...

Hi, Lisa, I just found your blog and I love this chair, the colors and the concept! I'll put you in my links list!