Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Treasures?

What am I doing for the long weekend? Frank went to play in the mountains for a couple of days. So when the cat's away, the girls go shopping! Actually, I don't enjoy clothes shopping very much. But Anna had some things we needed to return to the store. On our way to the mall (blech), we saw several garage sales signs around the neighborhood. We decided to take a detour.

I do love shopping at garage sales! It's like recycling. I'm not a fanatic and go to every single one or seek them out. But we do like to go by when we are out riding bikes or driving by. (The bike is a good way to go because it limits you to small purchases. Except for one time when I found an art rack I wanted to get for our school. We disassembled it and I was riding with metal pieces sticking out of the paniers and a big one propped on the handlebars and my shoulder. Fortunately, we knew someone that lived close by so we dropped it at their house until we could come back with the car.)

I digress. At the first garage sale, there was some good kid stuff. Anna purchased a couple of things and I bought three hardback books for her that I had been thinking about getting. The lady that lived there said "Hi Lisa." Of course, it was one of those times I had no idea who she was! The voice was familiar. About 45 minutes later while driving in the car, I finally remembered she was the PTA treasurer several years ago (her kids have since gone on to junior high). I was relieved that I eventually remembered.

At the second sale, Anna spent her money on a donut. I found this little treasure for 25 cents. I have no idea what it is. Do you? I thought it would be great to use the metal end for batik to create swirls on fabric!


I also found this dress for $2. It doesn't look like much in this picture. I can wear it (although it goes down to the floor, and past, on me) but that was not why I bought it.


The fabric on it is awesome. Here is a close-up picture. It has a lining underneath. I told Anna I bought it to make something with and she said "And who knows when that will be." I don't, but someday it will eventually make it's way into something.


Here's what it looks like without the lining. I could cut it off at midriff and have a shirt and extra fabric to use. I'm not sure how I would finish the edge though. It looks like the maker serged the edges before turning them under and doing a topstitch. Any suggestions? I really don't have any experience altering clothes.


I also got a nice sweater that fits well for 50 cents.

4 comments:

Janine Matthews said...

could it be a place card holder?

Have enjoyed peeking into your life and will definately come and visit often.

I am currently doing lino printing at Art school and will be doing "my homework" today cutting my first lines in a reduction print, so enjoyed reading about your piece.

Other school work pieces are on my blog

~Vix~ said...

Hi Lisa!
Love your blog. Looks to me like the item you purchased is an incense stick holder. I also love the material in your $2 dress! Can't wait to see what you make out of it. Vix

Anonymous said...

Your mystery item is a vase to hold a single stem flower such as a rose or a gerbera daisy. I have one just like it that I purchased for a tad more 25 cents at the MOMA shop in NYC. It's one of my favorites.
kathy from qa list

Anonymous said...

Anna's comment cracked me up. Sounds like she takes after her father in some respects. The fabric looks awesome. I, too, will be waiting to see what it becomes in its "new" life.