Pages

Monday, April 2, 2007

Needlepunch

I took my sketchbook with me on our spring break trip. I did not use it. However, since we spent a lot of time in the car, I did start this bunny (and finished it today). It is needlepunch embroidery which is like rug hooking, I think. It is very small (about three by four inches) and uses three strands of embroidery floss. This was a pattern, but I changed the colors some. I can't seem to do a pattern without changing something.


I think this technique has some possibilities for art quilts. I have not tried it with any fabric other than the recommended weaver's cloth. It might work on felt. It would be easy to make your own pattern.

Last year I made a heart using this technique. It was for a piece I donated to an Aids auction. You can see the heart in the window in the picture below.



The next picture is the piece I made for this year's auction. For some reason, the ideas that pop into my head for pieces for these auctions are so much different from what I am usually doing. I don't know why. I have never done a "watercolor" quilt before. But I did it for the background of this piece.

No comments: