Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Holiday Recovery

Once the workers were finished installing new windows and painting the outside of the house, and Frank and Anna returned late on the 23rd (really very early morning on the 24th), we had a nice quiet Christmas holiday.

If you know me, or have read my blog for awhile, you might have guessed I'm a type A personality.  I always have a list of things to do.  Christmas day is the one day of the year when I really allow myself to do nothing and not feel guilty about it.  I still do stuff like work on a puzzle, read, or whatever.  But it is not something that is on a to-do list or that I know needs to be done.  I don't worry about checking email or posting something online.  It is really great.  I need to add more days like it throughout the year.

This holiday, I have let myself have a few days of guilt-free relaxation.  It seems easier to do when Frank and Anna are home and also just "hanging out," even if we aren't necessarily doing things together.  Today, Frank has gone off to ski, Anna is at a friend's house and it is time to get back into the swing of things.

What do you do to transition from the holidays back to the non-holiday activities?  For me, I will look at that to-do list (there is always a list!).  I will review my year of art/business and see if I met my goals and start thinking about new goals for next year.

This exercise is a good way for me to reflect on what's occurred throughout the past year (in all areas) and prepare for a new year.

Please share any tricks you have for transitioning.

A Christmas visitor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo of your visitor.

Gail Baar said...

My family will be here starting tonight, so it will be a busy week. I have a quilt all pinned so when the fun is over I can start machine quilting. I have been thinking of what will be next-I usually don't have trouble moving back to working on art.

Lisa Flowers Ross said...

Gail, I think it is good to have some work in progress to get back to. I do have a piece that is started and I would like to get finished before the new year. That means I have to get to work as time is running out.

Have fun with your family.