Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas at the Capitol

Saturday was the day for another get together of the local Urban Sketchers.  The meeting place was the capitol building here in Boise.

The building really is beautiful and it was decked out for Christmas.




It was nice that there were benches and other chairs available to sit on since I did not bring one with me.  I only did a few sketches as I spent time wandering around and taking pictures.

Theresa Burkes sketching.

In this first sketch, what I liked about the scene was all the repetition of elements.  The repetition of columns, round lights, floors and decorative elements.  In my mind, I am abstracting this down to even more simple lines and shapes than I have here.



I decided to draw this because of the doors inside the doors, inside the doors, inside the columns.  


There are actually three sets of doors here.  The second set doesn't look like doors because I was seeing the edge of it.  I took a picture so you could see what I was looking at.  You can also see I was selective in what I drew.  The more I do this, the more it reminds me that I don't have to draw things exactly as I see them.  As the artist, I get to pick and choose what I include.


No comments: