Pages

Friday, November 14, 2014

Blog Hop

My friend, Linda McLaughlin, has tagged me as part of a Blog Hop in which we answer four questions about our artwork.  I also saw that Terry Jarrard-Dimond answered the same questions for what I assume is the same blog hop, which she said was originated by Kathleen Loomis.

Here are the questions and my answers:

1) What am I working on?
Right now, I am currently not working on any artwork.  I am working on the business part of my art. I just finished two pieces in my Foliaris series.  There are several different series that I am still working on.  Foliaris is one, In Vein  and Vertical Nature are a couple of others.  Lines and Greenbelt are also series that I consider are still "open" for more work, but not high on the priority list right now.
In Vein II

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?
Hmm, I guess it depends on what the definition of genre means.  Does that mean the genre of textile artworks? Or the genre of abstract artwork?

I think the way I abstract things is different from other artists' work.  Of course, I have my own vision that is portrayed in my artwork and is, hopefully, unique and different from other artists.  I also think in my pieces where I do a lot of free-motion stitching, it is a distinguishing factor for those artworks.

Detail from A Nod to M.R.


3) Why do I create what I do?
As far as subject matter, I create what I do to show people another way of seeing what is around us everyday, or to portray a new perspective.

I think any artist that is asked this question would say that there is a need inside them that drives them to create.  This is what I feel.  It is also my best way to express and share my views of the world around me.


Yellowstone Impression #4


4) How does my creating process work?
In general, I start with an idea or something I have seen that has inspired me.  I create very small thumbnail sketches in my sketchbook.  From there, I start pulling out fabric colors for the piece I am starting.  Then, I will free-hand cut the shapes, referencing my sketch, and start piecing them together.

On occasion,  if I want something just so, I will create a paper pattern first  to work from.  For Foliaris VIII, I wanted that exact curve that is prominent in the piece. So I projected the image and created a pattern.  Foliaris VII was just free-hand cut and I did have to un-sew and make a few adjustments as I went along.


At times, for a break or to just "play" without a previous sketch to draw from, I will use fused appliqué to create a small piece and sometimes add some hand stitching.

Leaf Stack #7
©Lisa Flowers Ross

The second part of this blog hop is to introduce you to another blog to hop to.  I am choosing Terry Grant.  I have followed her blog and art for years.  She has a unique style and I like her use of black lines in her art.  More recently, I like how she is using pieces of plaid shirts in her work that she has found at thrift stores and has over-dyed.

Terry said she has already participated in this blog hop several months ago.  So I will point you to the link where she has already answered these questions.

No comments: