Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Bits & Pieces Series

I have a series of artworks called Bits & Pieces.  The first Bits & Pieces artwork was made in 2010. Because I work with fabrics and they get cut up, I'm often left with little pieces laying on the cutting table.

One day, I think I decided to just play with putting them together to use them up.  Bits & Pieces I was born.  Bits & Pieces II which is very similar to I, has some hand stitching added.

Bits and Pieces II
19-3/4"x10-1/8"
hand-dyed and commercial fabrics,
machine pieced and quilted with hand stitching
© 2010 Lisa Flowers Ross 

As the series progressed, the bits and pieces of fabric have become more specific to just the leftovers from one or two particular artworks I have been working on.

For example, Bits & Pieces V has sections that were already sewn but got cut off my Leaf artwork.

Bits and Pieces V
9-5/8"x11-3/8"
hand-dyed and commercial fabrics
©2010 Lisa Flowers Ross

You can tell that Bits & Pieces VI really relates to my Color Fields series as the leftover fabric came from that.

Bits & Pieces VI
hand dyed fabrics, hand stitching
machine pieced and quilted
16 x 15"
©2012 Lisa Flowers Ross

There was a lapse of two years between V and VI.  I don't always feel like doing a Bits & Pieces work after working on something else.  The Color Fields series just inspired me to keep going with the next piece in the series.

Sometimes though, it is good to just take a break and play with fabric without any preconceived idea and see what I can come up with.  Now, I have completed Bits & Pieces VII.  I used some sections that got un-sewn from a very different artwork I just completed called Reflect.

Bits & Pieces VII
commercial fabric and fabric hand dyed by the artist,
machine pieced and quilted with hand stitching
17-1/2" x 15-3/4"
©2012 Lisa Flowers Ross

2 comments:

Linda M said...

This last one is very interesting, now I want to see what "Reflect" looks like.

Anonymous said...

Bits and Pieces VII with its black is very striking.

flowersgal