Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How To: Earring Holder

I have had pierced ears since high school and have amassed quite a collection of earrings. In the 80's, there were some pretty big ones. Not so much now. Years ago, I decided to make myself something to hold my collection of earrings.

I started with some thin wood and built myself a small cabinet with doors. Since I prefer the earrings with hooks, I put lots of small dowel rods inside to hold those. On the inside of the doors I put some strips of raised balsa wood with notches to hold the post type earrings. It has served me well.

Since Anna has had her ears pierced, she has started her own collection of earrings (yep, she's got that collector gene, too). Of course, I said we could make a holder for her, but not like mine. I'm sure if you searched the internet there would be lots of ideas. I know I have seen picture frames with screen attached to the open area. That would work well with the hook earrings, but not so great for post earrings, especially if you wanted to hang it on the wall.

Here's what I did for Anna:

I had a picture frame I was not planning on using anymore. I could have drilled holes right through the sides of the frame for the dowel rods, but I did not. I could have just drilled a hole partway from the inside. But I chose to put some eye screws on the inside of the frame and put the dowel rod into the hole of the screw. If I ever want to use the frame, as a frame, then I can unscrew them.

I used the same balsa wood strips with notches for the post earrings and just used a little wood glue to attach them. I hung it on the wall and it was ready to go. It didn't take very long to do. But I won't tell you how long Anna waited for me to get around to doing it!

Apparently it works for necklaces and other things as well.

No comments: