Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

More Handmade Gifts

Here is something else I made for gifts this Christmas. I sewed each of my young nieces a skirt and knitted a (somewhat) matching scarf (which isn't real practical for the one in Florida, but oh well). I only took this one picture above as I sent out the other one before taking a picture. The other one had a really cute snowman fabric.

On Christmas Eve, I sewed together two pieces of leopard fabrics (one a Minke, the other was something else), did a few "quilting" lines and made a blanket for Anna. The fabric was pretty slippery and I did a very poor job on it, but I wanted her to have her own warm blanket. Here is she under it in the aftermath of unwrapping gifts.


I also knitted a scarf for my friend in Ireland, my step-nephew who likes the Steelers, my yoga teacher and my Nia teacher. This was more hand making than I have ever done at Christmas and probably will ever do. It makes me a little stressed trying to finish in time to mail stuff.

There was a discussion about handmade gifts on the Quiltart list. Someone had found a blog written by a lady in which she pointed out mostly the bad aspects of receiving a handmade gift, such as a crocheted toilet paper cover from Auntie Gertrude, for example. She did have some good points. Sorry I don't have a link to the original post for you.

When I make something for somebody, I hope they see that it was because I wanted to take the time to make something special for them. I don't mind if they don't like it, if they pass it on. In my opinion, once you give something to someone, they can do whatever they like with it. I do hope that they appreciate my effort, though.

Most of the things I made this year were pretty functional.

No comments: