Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013

Welcome 2013!  Welcome to a new year, a fresh start, hopes for new opportunities and possibilities, joy and health.

I have done my yearly review for 2012 and was slightly disappointed in my studio time.  My goal was to average 15-20 hours per week (based on 48 weeks).  I only averaged 12.4 hours a week. However, I still created 45 new artworks - 11 medium to large and the rest were smaller pieces.

For the last few years I haven't hit my studio time goal.  I think the reason may be that I do not have set hours/days to work on my art.  I fit it in whenever.  Sometimes I work in the morning, sometimes at night.  I feel like if I'm going to meet my 15-20 hour goal, then I might need to schedule specific times to do artwork.  I might try that and see how it goes.  Or do I even need to aim for a certain amount of time?  I think I do to keep me accountable.

The time I spent on the business side of my art averaged out to 4.8 hours a week.  My goal was 3-5 hours a week.  So I did put more time into the business of art.  I met all the marketing goals I had written down and about half of all the other various goals.  That seems about normal.

I am disappointed that I didn't get some systems/habits going, like updating my artwork inventory monthly instead of at the end of the year or whenever I get around to it.  Maybe I need to schedule times for these things, too.

The biggest surprise was that I went on 53 "art dates" this year.  An art date, in my definition, is when I go to an art reception, a performance, a museum, an art workshop, visit someone's studio, get together with another artist, etc.  In other words, going to other art events.  So I averaged slightly over one art date a week last year.  That's great, but may be why I didn't spend more time working on my own artwork.

I was happy that my artwork was in 9 different exhibitions last year, one of which was a solo exhibition and one two-person exhibition. I had no goals written down related to this.

Now, I have set some new goals for 2013.  Many were just transferred over from last year.  Some are new.  I'm sure there are too many (which is why only about half get done), but it gives me some direction and something to aim for.

Do you believe in setting goals at the beginning of the year?

1 comment:

Pam McKnight said...

I took your advice about writing down the hours spent in the studio and on which activity and did it for 11 weeks in 2011. For 2012 I did it monthly, since the other method petered out like a gym membership...I do write down goals, for 2012 it was to get published and I supposedly will have a BW cover this month.