Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Birthday Artwork

In my post yesterday, I told you about my visit to Linda McLaughlin's studio.  Well, her birthday was a couple of weeks ago and my friend and I each made her a little artwork.


This is the piece I made for her.  You might have noticed yesterday that she likes to work with circles.  So I started with the circle idea and painted those on by painting the edge of a large yogurt container with paint then "stamping" it on the fabric.  The fabric is a piece of linen from a skirt.

Linda also likes to work with black and white and that is where the color scheme came from (although the linen is not white).  For the background, I carved a stamp with the roman numerals LXV and stamped it in gray all over (top side is right side up, the bottom is upside down).  I wanted it to be a graphic pattern, but not instantly recognizable.

For some color, I added the leaf in the middle as Linda said she had liked to use leaves in the past. There is some hand stitching in the circles and around the leaf.

It was nice to work on something inspired by someone else's work, using techniques I don't usual do.  I might have not made a piece like this otherwise.

Although, as we were driving over to her house on Sunday, I was thinking maybe she would have rather liked to have a piece that was different from what she does.

There's always next year!

No comments: