Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fusing

Since I did the first "quilt along with Melody" quilt, Color Blocks #1,  I have done a series of these small fused quilts.  That is good and bad.  It's good because they are fun and quick to make (especially good when I am working at the museum).  But it is bad because it is distracting me from some of the other artwork I should be concentrating on.

After cutting up some of the fabric for the first one, I had extra bits leftover which I just stacked on my ironing board.  Every time I would walk into my studio I could see them and I would just start playing with them, which would lead to the start of another piece.

I now have three and a half completed and one more on the wall to quilt.  I finally decided to gather up all the bits and put them together in a bag and put them away so I could move on to something else.

Below is the second completed piece.

Color Blocks #2
hand dyed fabrics, fused appliqué
machine quilted
12 x 12"
©2012 Lisa Flowers Ross

Before getting started, Melody had suggested putting the fusible web on several larger pieces of fabric so they would be all ready to cut beforehand.  I chose a handful or two of fabrics and fused maybe half a yard each.  It is a limited color palette I have to work with, which is why the series, so far, has the same color scheme.

No comments: