Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Miscalculations

Yesterday, I dropped off my traffic box piece to the place that will scan/photograph it and turn it into the vinyl that will go around the box.  After showing the person my diptych (each piece approx. 2' x 3'), she said it looked a little long.  She measured and entered numbers in the computer and said, in total, it is about 10" too long.

That was a big bummer for me since I had spent so much time trying to get the lines to match on the edges on both sides.  Now I'm not so sure they will match up on any side.

She asked if I had gone by the measurements.  Yes, I had the numbers that were printed on the sheet I was given.  We were told we could make two pieces up to 2' x 3'.  I did the math to scale it up proportionally (and I'm pretty good at math).  But then she asked if I had taken into account the little dotted lines on the drawing that represented their "bleed" (wiggle room).

No, I didn't because there were no numbers for that and I'm not sure it was mentioned in our overall meeting. Well, it will just be what it is because I cannot redo the piece.  Live and learn.  Unfortunately, this is learning the hard way.  I just hope it looks o.k. when they are done with it.  They have to make the vinyl into four pieces for the box.

I didn't take a photo of the piece before I dropped it off.  But I will post it sometime- maybe the before picture of the actual piece and the after picture of it on the traffic box.

No comments: