Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Serviceberries



We had a cool, wet spring and got the vegetable garden in late. Our service berry tree was late to ripen this year, too. The berries are usually ready in mid June. They are ready now and I made service berry pancakes for breakfast today.

Years ago we selected the tree at a nursery because it was native to Idaho and would produce berries. We didn't know much about them. You can eat them plain, but I think they have more flavor in the pancakes. The nursery person said some people make service berry jam. We'd have to pick almost the whole tree to have enough to make jam.

The birds really like the berries, too. We've told the birds they can have the berries near the top of the tree, but we get the ones at the bottom that we can reach. I don't think they listened to us. There was a bird that was sitting on a branch not too far away from me when I was picking them this morning. It was picking berries, too.

No comments: