Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sample

Last Friday I went to the traffic box project meeting. Not all of the artists were there, but I met a few. It was very interesting. There are several different organizations that are involved and/or sponsoring to have the designs made. The Boise City Arts and History Department is coordinating the whole thing (and they are also sponsoring some of the boxes, one of which is mine). The boxes aren't all the same shape and size.

Before the meeting, I made up some "samples" to take because I wasn't sure if my regular way of working with fabric, batting and stitching would be flat enough for the process. I brought one of my regular, smaller pieces. I fused some fabric to a board, with no stitching. And I also made the piece below which is pieced with some hand stitching and machine stitching, but no batting (I ironed some stabilizer on the back). Then I stretched this around a canvas.

An aside note: I like how the canvas gives it a little more presence for the smaller pieces. It also makes it more like "traditional" art that we tend to think about (i.e. paintings on canvas). It might be nice to try this with a big piece, but they are so much easier to store when they are not on the canvas (one of the nice things about fabric).

Anyway, they said I could create my piece the usual way. The selection committee liked the texture, color and pattern of my pieces. The person that handles the technical aspects of the project said to think about the size of my final design piece. If it is fairly small, then when it is scaled up a lot, the texture of the threads and fabric might be bigger and more visible. Something to think about.

I have to submit my design concept for approval in a week or two, then I have until August to actually finish the piece that will be scanned.

I used some leftover pieces in the Color Fields series to create this piece and I wasn't really trying to make a finished piece.  But I really like it, so it is Color Fields #10.

Color Fields #10
hand dyed fabric, machine pieced, hand and machine stitching
10" x 8" 
© 2011 Lisa Flowers Ross


No comments: