Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Clear as Mud?


The fabrics are dyed, dried, ironed and folded. Phew! I was two yards shy of 100 yards.

Above are some of my "mud" fabrics. "Mud" fabric is when you pour the residual dyes from already dyed fabric into a big tub or bucket. The colors all get mixed up so you usually get "mud". But really, you can get some interesting colors and you never know what it will be. They are usually very light because most of the dye molecules have already grabbed on to the first fabric(s).

In the above picture, the color on the far right was a piece of pale yellow fabric that I over-dyed in a mud bath. Now it is a very pretty color. The lavender-ish color in the center was a pale pink piece that I also over-dyed.

I put the strip of white fabric there so you could see that the two palest colors are really colors. I'm afraid the photo doesn't really portray the true colors since I was taking the picture indoors at night.

This week we will be spending some time with Roy G Biv.

No comments: