Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Learning New Tricks: Part IV (commission agreement)

The last thing I needed in preparation for my meeting with the patron was a commission agreement.  I had some things I wanted to include but didn't really know how to start.  So I started researching.

I knew the Boise Art Museum had a program where they try to match patrons with artists in commissioning artworks to be made, resulting in a show at the museum.  I asked if I could see a copy of their agreement to get some ideas.  Then I went online and searched "art commission agreement" and found examples different people had put on the internet.  This was enough for me to start drafting my own.  But I also could have contacted the city or state art commission and they might have had some examples or instructions.

What I included in my agreement:
-names and date (of course)
-sketch # (since I had several)
-explanation that final artwork may vary from the sketch as design decisions are made during process of making piece
-size selection (I had a choice of 3 ft. by 3 ft. or 4 ft. by 4 ft. with a price listed next to each)
-payment schedule (a deposit of 30% of price was to be made on acceptance of sketch.  This covers my time even if the artwork is rejected in the end.  Many people had a 50% deposit)
-deadline date (and what happens if it is missed)
-right of refusal (the patron can refuse final piece and forfeit deposit and can refuse if deadline is missed)
-ownership explanation
-copyright explanation
-signature spaces

It was two pages, well spaced, and I think I covered everything I needed. Some of the examples I looked at were simpler and some had more legalese wording.  I wanted mine to be simple and understandable.

And the result is . . .
The patron selected a sketch and agreed to the commission! Now I have to make a 4 ft. by 4 ft. piece by Dec. 17.  That doesn't sound too bad except that I am having my parents visit over Thanksgiving for about a week and a half (sewing room is guest bedroom).  I've been spending a lot of time recently getting ready to do a Winter Window for the Idaho State Historical Society (more about that in another post) and all the other usual activities and holiday-getting-ready activities. It has yet to be started.

No comments: