Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

Modern Mayhem

Yesterday was First Thursday and the Modern Art event, among others. The hotel opens its rooms to artists for them to do what they want (within reason and not destroying the room).

In the morning, bundled up in my polar fleece coat with several layers underneath and my fingerless gloves, I helped install the TVAA's sixty panels on the outside of the main stairwell at the Modern Hotel.  It was quite chilly (it is May, right?) and took us a couple of hours.

Mike Chambers with the completed installation.

The event was suppose to be from 5-9 p.m. I had volunteered to help take down the panels that night as well.  I left the house around 8 p.m. so I would have time to go through some of the rooms and see what it was all about. I haven't been to the event before because I knew it would be crowded.  And it was, just as my title suggests. The halls were wall to wall people and it was very hard to get into some of the rooms for all the people in there. Drinks and cocktails were being served in the parking lot and they also had tables set out.  It was basically a big block party as one street was also blocked off.

The event is called Modern Art, but I thought it was a bit surreal.  There were some performing artists singing and acting on the balcony of one room and also having a bizarre tea party in the rock garden. A graffiti artist was working outside on some panels.
















There were some artists that had their art just set up for display and sell (a creative feat without having to put holes in the walls).  There were installations in many of the rooms, transforming them.  The one below is a neon murder scene.


One ceramic artist even had her wares in the bathroom, which was quite effective since she did sea-like creatures and things.  


















I have to apologize for not having the names of these artists.  It was just very crazy there and I didn't think of grabbing a business card after I snapped a picture.

It was after 9:30 p.m. when we started taking down the panels and there were still lots of people hanging out at the hotel.

No comments: