Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Learning

I think I have mentioned before that I could be a professional student if it was a paid position. I like taking classes, especially learning new art techniques. However, I realized that so many different ways to do things can be overwhelming and I just need to focus on doing my own work. And I have been.

But I still like to take classes. So, I am currently enrolled in two online classes and a community education class. The online classes are Freezer Paper, Paint, Oh My! with Melanie Testa and Mark Making with Hand Dyed Embroidery Threads with Melanie Testa.

I have Melanie's book Inspired to Quilt and have been wanting to try a few of the techniques although I never got around to it. So I thought the classes would get me going. Below are some of the threads I have dyed for the Mark Making class. They are actually a little bit lighter in person.

I thought I had taken a picture of my freezer paper cut-outs but cannot locate it.

The community education class I am taking is Microsoft Excel beginner and I'm also doing the intermediate class. I think I remember using Excel or something similar in college for accounting class, but it has been a long time. I want to create spreadsheets for my art expenses/sales/etc. But I'm sure I can use it for other things as well. Last night we created calendars. It is much more fun to just play with a program than try to learn it as you are doing something important. Less pressure, I guess.

That's what is keeping me busy these days. Of course, I am still doing my artwork. I have one piece I am working on that has lots of stitching. It is almost done but I need to go get some more thread today.

2 comments:

Dale Anne said...

Hi LIsa!
I am in both Melanie's classes also.
GREAT dyed threads!!!

Melly Testa said...

Very pretty threads, Lisa. I love to learn too and am taking a Book Binding class in the city. I love it.