Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Plaster has begun

The bathroom remodel is moving along, slowly. Tuesday, I finished sanding the walls, washing the walls, putting Kilz primer on. Yesterday, I put on the sanded primer for the clay plaster.

I am using American Clay Plaster which is all natural. In my quest to make my house has "natural" as possible, we used this on the walls in the downstairs rec room remodel and had two bags leftover. I love the walls. I exchanged the pigment color for a light blue for the bathroom.

It is a more time consuming process, but not too hard to do. You mix the dry clay with water and the pigment. Then mix and mix some more. We mixed it up last night because you can make it 24 hours ahead. If it starts to dry out, you just add more water. The pigment was a concentrated bright, sapphire blue. I was a little scared, but when mixed with the clay it got better.

As you can see in the first picture. It is a different color when wet as opposed to dry. The first wall I troweled is starting to dry.

Below is the second wall, very wet and the first wall more dry. It is quite a difference in color. I will be doing the ceiling as well. But once you start, you have to finish the entire wall while it is wet (up to a corners).

I didn't have time to start the ceiling in between dropping off Anna and picking her up. Also, I had some wasted time because I didn't like the squared- cornered trowel and went to buy one with rounded corners (can't remember what I used last time but couldn't find it anyway).

I was hoping to have the entire bathroom completed with the first coat today. Seeing how it is already 3:30 p.m., I'm not sure that will happen unless I'm up till midnight!

No comments: