Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 3 of Cruising - Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Our next port of call was Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We decided to do the excursion to Dunn River Falls. Frank, Anna and I decided not to climb the falls with the guide. Instead we wandered a bit by ourselves before the stream of people started coming up. They started at the bottom and climbed to the top in a human chain. Mary, Susan, Allen, Ben, Matthew, Markie and Peggy all did the climb.







It was quite a hot day, probably in the 90's. Although I overheard another cruiser say a hundred. The humidity was also very high.

I had awoken that morning with a headache and slightly upset stomach. I took some Excedrin and went on as normal. At Dunn River Falls we were in the shade, but there was no breeze. Even wading through the water I was still very hot.

After the falls, the excursion included taking us to two shopping centers. By then I was feeling quite horrible. I had brought a small water bottle with me, but let Anna drink most of it. I bought a bottle before leaving the falls and drank most of it (Frank and Anna had some). Peggy gave me the rest of hers. But all I wanted to do was get back to the ship.

When we did get back aboard, I went straight to the room and laid down. I took a couple more Excedrin because my head was still killing me and rested for several hours. I had a little bit of diet Coke and crackers (because we had not had any lunch). Eventually the headache went away and I felt well enough to go to dinner. After that, I was fine.

I don't know if it was because I wasn't feeling well, but I wasn't that impressed with the area we were in in Jamaica. The part we were at seemed a bit impoverished or run down to me. But maybe the resort areas were better or another town would be better. I'm glad we went with an excursion.

I did manage to purchase a mask at the shopping area. Frank bought some Jamaican rum cream. Anna got a shirt.

No comments: