Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Illumination Piece

The gals over at Twelve by Twelve (link on sidebar) have revealed their illumination pieces and, so too, will I. I had lots of associations with "illumination" as you can see in this previous sketch.

My original idea was to use real light to illuminate a quilt from behind. But since we were away on vacation, I realized I wouldn't have time to work on that. As I was flipping through my sketchbook, I found a sketch for a completely different idea but I realized that part of it could be used for this quilt.

This is a very abstracted version of what I would call stars. The centers and the "distant" ones on the background are silver, square brads. The quilting lines are in a variegated blue thread but they show up more as white. I'm not sure I like how I did the quilting, but I have other ideas of how to do it, if I decide to use these "stars" again.

6 comments:

Diane Perin said...

Lisa! I'm glad you played along with us. This is terrific -- I love how you've captured the bright twinkle of stars but in an abstract, graphic way. And I think the quilting works very nicely as a subtle echo of your shapes.

Terri Stegmiller said...

I, too, am glad you played along. Your abstract stars are great and are a perfect way to portray illumination.

Gerrie said...

Great abstraction. Stars are so prevalent in work, but this geometric twist is really nice.

Terry Grant said...

This is wonderful and really captures an essence of night sky despite its geometric nature! I also love your sense of color with the variety of blues here.

Anonymous said...

Your stars also remind me of the refraction that can happen when you squint at street lights. Thanks for playing along!

kirsten said...

Beautiful quilt, Lisa. Like Gerrie, I'm pleased to see a star quilt with a fresh face !