Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bourbon St.

You can't go to New Orleans without going to Bourbon Street. I have to tell you that it is quite a different experience at night than during the day.


We went on a Friday night. The picture below is still fairly early and on the outer edges. They block off the street to car traffic and there are tons of people walking around and partying. Now, I would much rather take a walk in a forest than one on Bourbon St. on Friday night, but isn't that what you are suppose to do as a tourist? What surprised me was all the different kinds of music we heard blasting out of the bars as we walked by. I, of course, was thinking it would be all jazz, but it wasn't. There was rap, rock, pop, etc.

There were way more people than the picture above shows. And I think a lot of the locals and tourists go for people watching as well as partying. They have an open container law there where it is o.k. to have alcoholic beverages in open containers as long as they are not glass. That's why we saw several places advertising daiquiris to go.



I did have a Hurricane drink at Pat O'Brien's (because isn't that what a tourist is suppose to do?) It was the biggest, strongest drink, I'm sure I've ever had. In the end, I did not finish it.

No comments: