Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2007

What's Under Foot?

These are some pictures I took this morning of things I was walking on. Can you guess what they are?

The first one is a path near the Boise Art Museum.
The second one is the design on a manhole cover, I love this one.
The third are some rubber tiles embedded in the sidewalk ramps near the museum. I think they are so people don't slip when it's icy. I think they are fairly new as I had not noticed them before.

A childhood story:

When I was in middle school or high school, our family took a trip to California (we lived in Ohio at the time). We visited the giant redwood or sequoia trees (whatever those enormous ones are). I remember walking through the forest and finding a dime on the ground. I showed it to my mom. She seemed a little astounded that I would be looking at the ground. And maybe a little upset wondering why I wasn't looking up at the trees.

What she didn't understand was that I wasn't just looking down. I was looking up and at eye-level. I was looking at everything! Maybe some people just looked up at the trees as they were walking the path. But it is the ground that supports us and the trees. I bet there were some interesting root patterns and moss colors as well as textures on the bark.

There is a quote that goes something like: "Keep your head in the clouds, but your feet on the ground."

No comments: