Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2007

What's in town?

Sometimes there are things going on right under our noses that we don't even know about. While I was taking pictures the other day of stuff right under my feet (see previous post), I finally noticed a sign that was right under my nose. The Idaho Historical Society is right across the street from the Boise Art Museum. I work part time (intermittently) at the art museum. I have been oblivious for some time as I have missed this advertisement banner that was displayed on the front windows.The Idaho Historical Society must have a small marketing budget as I had not seen any advertising in the papers or weekly paper.

Kokeshi dolls are Japanese dolls made of wood on a lathe and painted. I was very interested in seeing these before the show closed. On Saturday, Frank, Anna and I went to the historical museum. We have lived in Boise almost 17 years and I have been to the museum once or twice (even though I am right across the street very often). Anna has been with classes a few times. They had a nice display of the dolls. All of them were in cases which is why you may see some reflections in the pictures.

This first picture, below, is of the more traditional kokeshi. The basic shape varies very little.


This second picture is of a "creative" kokeshi. That was what the label called them. I guess these have more artistic personality and go beyond the more traditional shape.




After viewing the dolls, we explored the rest of the museum. Here is Anna exploring the way Lewis and Clark did. It is a dug out canoe. I tried to sit in it and I didn't fit. Those guys must have been very skinny from having to live off the land! More tomorrow.

No comments: